AmazonSmile is now available in the Amazon Shopping app on both iOS and Android devices!
You can now use your favorite browser or the Amazon Shopping app to access AmazonSmile.
If you do not have the latest version of the Amazon Shopping app, update or install your app. Directions can be found here.
Follow these instructions to turn on AmazonSmile and start generating donations:
Steps Potential Handlers will need to take to be qualified with Healing Companions
- First, do you qualify for a psychiatric service dog? You must fit the criteria under the Americans with Disabilities Act, be 18 or older, and live within an easy drive of Lorain County, Ohio (1 hour or less).
- If you are a veteran, go to this link: http://www.assistancedogsinternational.org
- If you are under 18 years old, go to this link: http://www.assistancedogsinternational.org/
[by Navily Zhen] Stress reduction and relaxation techniques are important for dogs and people alike. When under stress, your body releases a hormone called cortisol. Cortisol has many important roles in regulating your body, such as controlling your sleep/wake cycle and boosting energy so you can handle stress. However, in both humans and dogs, too much or too little cortisol can lead to Cushing’s Syndrome or Addison’s Syndrome. With Cushing’s Syndrome, when the body produces too much cortisol, rapid weight gain, hair loss, and skin that bruises easily. However, too little cortisol results in Addison’s Syndrome, which leads to muscle weakness, lack of appetite, and depression, as the body cannot fight stressors properly.
What causes stress in dogs? For humans, stress comes from emotional issues, traumatic events, illnesses or injuries, and much more. But for dogs, stress can be caused by memory loss that comes from aging, various fears, and separation to name a few.
[by Navily Zhen] As COVID-19 has kept us stuck at home, our dogs are seeing us more than ever. Interactions with our dogs have significantly increased due to our time at home. These interactions provide many positive results such as: increased trust, reduced aggression, and improved mental and physical health to name a few. However, as some states are lifting bans and businesses are opening back up, we will once again have to leave our dogs.
Dogs with separation anxiety are unable to cope when left alone or separated from their family members, and this can lead to behaviors such as urinating and defecating in the house, destroying furniture and furnishings and increased barking. Separation anxiety depends on your dog’s personality, size, and local conditions. It impacts 20-40% of dogs and as we leave our dogs to go back to work and do other activities, this could become an issue.
Donate to Healing Companions to Transform the Lives of Both Dogs and Humans
[by Navily Zhen] Why donate to Healing Companions? Healing Companions puts an immense effort into providing those severely limited in their ability to function due to mental illnesses with psychiatric service dogs. However, most are not aware of the costs it takes to provide this assistance, taking 18-24 months and up to $20,000 to fully train a psychiatric service dog to be ready to live with and assist a client. Healing Companions helps transform lives with psychiatric service dogs, and here are some ways you can help save the lives of not only shelter dogs, but the lives of those in need:
- AmazonSmile is a website operated by Amazon with the same products, prices, and shopping features as Amazon.com. The difference is that when you shop on AmazonSmile, the AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the purchase price of eligible products to the charitable organization of your choice.
- Chewy.com will donate $15 the first time you order from them
- Coin up is pretty simple, just sign up one of your credit or debit cards in the round up section.
- If you are able to make a monthly gift please give on our website.
A few dollars a month can really impact the well being of a shelter dog and someone struggling with mental illness. Your donation will help both dog and handler have a second chance at life and live more happily and dignified.
More information on ways to donate can be found on our website.