As decorations change with the seasons, it is important to be mindful of those that can be potentially dangerous to your pets. Here are some steps you can take to keep your furry friends safe during the holiday season:
- Firestarter Logs: Keep Firestarter logs and similar items out of reach of pets, as they can be harmful if ingested. Make sure to securely store firewood and other fireplace supplies.
- Candles: Do not leave lit candles unattended. Pets might accidentally knock them over, which could result in spills, burns, or even a fire. You can even make the switch to flameless LED candles as a safer alternative, especially with cats in the house.
- Plants: Certain holiday plants like ivy, holly, mistletoe, and poinsettias are dangerous. The sap of poinsettias contains chemicals that can cause diarrhea, vomiting and drooling if ingested. Mistletoe is known to cause erratic behavior and cardiovascular collapse. Keeping these plants out of reach can prevent accidental ingestion. If you have Christmas trees, ensure that the pets do not ingest fallen pine needles.
- Lights and Tinsels: Position lights and tinsel higher up on the tree, out of your pets’ reach. Investing in bitter sprays may deter pets from chewing on cords.
Provide your pets with their own safe and festive toys to keep them distracted from the decorations. Consider creating a designated pet-safe area during the holiday season, where they can be comfortable and away from decorations and potential dangers.
By taking these precautions, you can help ensure a safe and enjoyable holiday season for both your family and your beloved pets.