Jane Miller, our Executive Director is the author of the first book written about the transformative healing power that dogs can bring to the lives of those struggling with mental illness as their psychiatric service dogs. Her book, Healing Companions: Ordinary Dogs and Their Extraordinary Power to Transform Lives,can be purchased on Amazon.
Healing Companions, garnering a 5-star review majority, details how dogs are increasingly benefiting those who suffer from a range of emotional illnesses; from eating disorders and anxiety, to agoraphobia, depression, and post-traumatic stress. Very thoughtfully written with mentions of both human and dog, Jane shows her passion for her work through this book!
Healing Companions teaches readers several lessons:
- What criteria to consider when choosing the right dog for you.
- What kind of training service dogs require.
- What to expect and how to respond when you take a service dog out in public.
- How a dog can complement other forms of therapy.
- How to navigate the procedural regulations that apply to a service dog.
- How to recognize the dog’s needs and provide it with proper care.