Through the benefits of psychiatric service dogs, Healing Companions, Inc., is dedicated in our mission to assist individuals severely limited in their ability to function due to mental illness so that they can lead lives with dignity, productivity, freedom and self-reliance. Healing Companions, Inc., is committed to creating a greater awareness of the healing benefits of psychiatric service dogs and incorporating shelter and rescue dogs whenever possible in its program.
Our Vision is for Healing Companions, Inc., to become the premier organization involved in the promotion and provision of Psychiatric Service Dogs (PSDs) to individuals with a demonstrated need who meet the requirements of the program.
- Persons in the Northeast Ohio region who qualify under the Americans with Disabilities Act (“ADA”) in their limited ability to function due to mental illness and meet the requirements of the program will have access to fully trained PSDs in order to diminish the effects of specific individual symptoms.
- Health professionals and those impacted by mental illness will be fully informed about the legal, ethical, and psycho-social impact of PSDs in the lives of individuals who are severely limited in their ability to function due to mental illness.
- The presence of PSDs assisting clients in the community will diminish the stigmas that the general public currently associates with mental illness.
- Continue to develop our number one goal – a system to provide Psychiatric Service Dogs (PSDs) to those individuals within the region who request a PSD and who meet the requirements of the program.
- Meet our number one goal by constantly developing financial and other resources necessary to sustain the mission and vision of the organization.
- Raise awareness and the level of knowledge regarding the value and benefits of PSDs within the mental health community and mental health education.
- Educate the public and mental health professionals about the benefits of psychiatric service dogs through the development of an effective marketing and branding plan for Healing Companions, Inc. We believe, by observing PSDs assisting clients in the community, the general public will have an enhanced image of those dealing with mental illness.
- Pursue collaborative relationships with organizations that have similar public awareness missions in order to increase the impact of those who advocate for the same goals as Healing Companions, Inc.
- Identify national media spokespersons that can expand awareness of Healing Companions, Inc.
- Generate an evidence base for the use of psychiatric service dogs with individuals who meet the criteria of the Americans with Disabilities Act.