Healing Companions, Inc. is proud to say that over the months and years since 2001 we have attended and presented at hundreds of events, small and large, in an effort to educate the public about the possibilities of Psychiatric Service Dogs in treating people with mental illness. Feel free to browse some of our previous events. If you do not see an upcoming event here, that does not mean we are not working on our next one!
Stop back often to see us and check for new events and news. If you see something you like, please share!
We recently held an event at the Westlake Porter Public Library and wanted to share some photos.
- This event has passed.
Webinar – Dogs Have Issues Too: Helping Dogs Cope With Stress
November 19, 2017 @ 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Nov 19, 2017 at 2:00 PM EST/7:00 PM GMT
This webinar presentation will be a very brief overview/introduction to helping dogs cope with stress. Jane Miller will provide a number of stress reduction/relaxation techniques along with monitoring methods. This is a very basic introduction to stress reduction/relaxation techniques covering the definition of stress, eustress and distress. Due to time constraints we will not be focusing on the brain’s role.
The stress reduction techniques that will be discussed include breathing, acupressure points, TTouch, canine massotherapy, reiki, meditation, and biofeedback etc. The monitoring methods of stress will be addressed include, stress signs/body language, cortisol levels from saliva, urine and hair, heart rate and variable heart rates, breathing rates, pulse, vagal tone, biofeedback, and MRI’s, which are costly and invasive and may cause stress levels to increase by the testing itself.
- Understand what is meant by good stress eustress vs. bad stress distress
- Learn various stress reduction techniques to add to your toolbox since different methods work for different dogs…one size does not fit all
- An introduction to breathing techniques, acupressure points, TTouch, canine massotherapy,
- Learn how to apply this knowledge and monitoring techniques
- Learn methods of monitoring heart rate,pulse, breathing rate, cortisol levels, biofeedback MRIs and the pros and cons of these techniques.
- Resources: An extensive list of videos, links, references, articles, websites, diagrams, etc. will be provided.
A question and answer session will follow this dogs and animal welfare webinar. With gratitude,
Please register for Dogs Have Issues, Too. Helping your dog cope with stress on Nov 19, 2017 at 2:00 PM EST/7:00 PM GMT at: