Healing Companions, Inc. is proud to say that over the months and years since 2001 we have attended and presented at hundreds of events, small and large, in an effort to educate the public about the possibilities of Psychiatric Service Dogs in treating people with mental illness. Feel free to browse some of our previous events. If you do not see an upcoming event here, that does not mean we are not working on our next one!
Stop back often to see us and check for new events and news. If you see something you like, please share!
We recently held an event at the Westlake Porter Public Library and wanted to share some photos.
- This event has passed.
Online Webinar: Psychiatric Service Dogs – Healing Companions
June 9, 2016 @ 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm$25
One in four Americans suffers from mental illness – yet less than a third of those people will receive treatment, often due to financial barriers and the stigma around mental health. The expansive need and demand for psychiatric service dogs exceeds the organizations, individuals adequately trained and knowledgeable in this specialized field. Join Jane Miller, owner of Healing Companions in this webinar designed to educate dog trainers, mental health professionals and everyone impacted by mental illness in navigating the complicated world of psychiatric service dogs.
You will learn:
- What is a psychiatric service dog?
- A psychiatric service dog in training?
- A therapy dog? An ESA?
- PSD, SDIT, ADA, Assistance Dogs & Service Dogs vs. Therapy Dogs (Glossary of Terms provided as Handout)
- Discussion about ADA and conditions that apply for someone being qualified for a PSD
- Navigate through the complexities of the laws, terminology and extensive misinformation presented in the media
- Examples and discussion of options and possibilities of specific tasks based on the individuals needs
Stories and client will share the benefits and pros and cons
- Additional discussion that includes costs, care, addition of PSD to family. Collaborated with mental health professional
When: June 9, 2016 8PM EDT (Midnight UTC/GMT)
Available as a recording after the Live lecture (please give us 5 business days).
Access to the recording is for 32 days after the webinar and is available for both Live and Recorded attendees.
NOTE: When you purchase this webinar, you are purchasing BOTH an invite to the Live webinar AND access to the Recording for 32 days after we publish the Live webinar.
- 2 IAABC CEU’s
- 2 CCPDT CEU’s (CPDT-KA and CBCC-KA)
- 2 NADOI CEU’s
NOTE: Both the Live and the Recording are approved for the same amount of CEUs.